Monday, January 31, 2011

“Humility is the surrender of the soul to God.”

“Humility is the surrender of the soul to God.” Francis Frangipane

What is the soul? It is your mind, will (ability to make a choice), and emotions.  We need to learn the lesson of Gethsemane, surrender.  Jesus is our example of how to yield your mind, will and emotions to a loving Father. Although everything about surrendering to the cross has the appearance of cruelty and violence it is the very love of God that enabled Christ to fulfill his call to redeem the world. The love the Father bestowed upon His only begotten son empowered Jesus to suffer and die in our places so that we could be redeemed from believing the hideous lie that God is not love.

What keeps us from humbling ourselves before our loving Father and asking for His forgiveness and love?

We believe our own good works make us acceptable to God.  When we are performing well, loving our neighbor, preaching the gospel and serving others we can approach God boldly, but when we see our selfishness and the anger in our hearts, we hide from God’s presence.  Humility is the virtue that draws us from the shadows of hiding behind good works or; surrendering to God when we have sinned against Him.  I worship God because He is good not because I am good.  We are a fragrance to the Lord when we have a broken and contrite heart and we choose to worship Him from our places of disappointment, anger, fear or rejection.  We need to come to Him as we are and offer Him the sacrifice of praise because He is worthy. I have come to realize that when I worship God from a place where I feel unacceptable, He covers me with His wings and speaks that I am His own.  He made a way for me through the death and resurrection of His son.  I can boldly come into His presence and receive the longing of my heart, to be God’s own child.

Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment